About Me

My photo
Drum & Bass Producer, Software Developer, Love my Cats

KnockBox Trash-Can Adapter for a Coffee Machine



In a cafe, the barista knocks the old coffee out of the espresso machine handle using a KnockBox.
A professional KnockBox is a trash-can with a rubber rod going through its diameter.

I wanted to create one for myself. My concept for a DIY KnockBox was different from the professional KnockBox. I wanted to create a KnockBox that doesn't take up too much space.

I decided to create a small KnockBox adapter that sits on the edge of the trash-can, and fits great in a small apartment. I created a plastic mold and covered its 'knockable' top with Silicone for muffling. For the DIY plastic, I used the recipe from my post about working with plastics at home.

The DIY-KnockBox Trash-Can Adapter works great! It makes dropping the old coffee easy, and dims the strong knocking sound.

What I learned from this design and creation:
The finished product is full of air bubbles, which makes it fragile, and during drying the form I planned changed a bit. Next time after melting the plastic I will degas it before molding and drying it.


בבית קפה, הבריסטה דופק את הקפה הישן מהמכונת קפה בעזרת נוקבוקס. נוקבוקס מקצועי הוא פח עם מוט גומי שעובר בקוטר שלו.

רציתי ליצור אחד כזה לעצמי. הקונספט שלי לנוקבוקס עשה-זאת-בעצמך היה שונה מהנוקבוקס המקצועי. רציתי ליצור נוקבוקס שלא לוקח הרבה מקום.

החלטתי ליצור מתאם נוקבוקס קטן שיושב על השפה של פח האשפה ומתאים בול לדירה קטנה. יצרתי יציקת פלסטיק ואת הצד העליון שעליו דופקים כיסיתי עם סיליקון לעיטוף. לפלסטיק עשה-זאת-בעצמך, השתמשתי בהוראות מהפוסט שלי לגבי עבודה עם פלסטיק בבית.

המתאם נוקבוקס לפח-אשפה עובד מעולה! הוא מאפשר לזרוק קפה ישן בקלות, ומעמעם את הרעש החזק של המכה.

מה שלמדתי מהעיצוב ומהיצירה:
המוצר המוגמר היה מלא בבועות אוויר, מה שהפך אותו לשביר, ובמהלך הייבוש הצורה שתכננתי השתנתה קצת. בפעם הבאה אחרי ההמסה של הפלסטיק אני אוציא ממנו את הגז לפני היציקה והייבוש.